Areas Of Los Angeles Personal Injury Law
- Los Angeles Auto Accident Lawyer
- Los Angeles Dog Bite lawyer
- Los Angeles Product Liability Lawyer
- Los Angeles Spinal Cord Lawyer
- Los Angeles Whiplash Lawyer
- Los Angeles Medical Malpractice Lawyer
A Los Angeles personal injury lawyer will help you prepare for your personal injury claim in Los Angeles and ensure you are as prepared as possible for making the claim.
Los Angeles is one of the largest cities in the country. It has also been called the most congested. It is no wonder that a large portion of America’s 6 million auto accidents occur in Los Angeles every year. Of course there are many personal injuries that take place all over Los Angeles, not just on the streets and highways. If you are injured, you will have to file a claim.
If you suffer an injury and need to file a Los Angeles personal injury claim of any sort, you may feel stressed as it can be quite a daunting task. This is why it is necessary to enlist the help of a Los Angeles personal injury lawyer.
There are several steps to filing your Los Angeles personal injury claim , which will be made easier with the help of a a Los Angeles personal injury lawyer who knows the laws of California regarding personal injury, as they differ from those found in other states. Some of the differences between Californian personal injury law and other cities that a Los Angeles personal injury lawyer can tell you about are:
- Unlike some States California has no Serious Injury Threshold.
- You only have 2 years to make any Los Angeles personal injury claim or product liability claim. For medical malpractice claims, you have 3 years to make your claim. A Los Angeles personal injury lawyer will ensure you have you claim filed before these deadlines.
- A variety of caps on the awards you can receive by insurance policies, Worker’s Compensation, and even your judge means that having a Los Angeles personal injury lawyer is very important should your initial claim be denied
- California also follows a “prima facie” theory regarding negligence in which there are several steps that must be passed before undue loss is established
Filing a Los Angeles personal injury claim isn’t the same for everyone, but understanding the basics of the process can help you make the right decisions about when to talk to a Los Angeles personal injury lawyer. There are several steps to the process:
Step 1: Complaint and Answer The first step of filing a Los Angeles personal injury claim is the complaint and answer period. You file a complaint as well as a summons and then you will receive an answer. While these claims can be admitted by the defendant, they are often denied for specific reasons or a lack of information. A cross-complaint or cross-claim can also be issued if more than one party has been affected by this particular incident. Having a Los Angeles personal injury lawyer becomes more important if your initial complaint is denied.
Step 2: Talk it out The only step after a denied complaint is to file a lawsuit. Both parties exchange information and then meet at what is called a deposition. It usually takes place in a Los Angeles personal injurylawyer’s office. Each side takes turns asking questions talking about the case. In cases involving bodily injury, a doctor from the opposing side may be called in to examine the person. Other parties related to the case may also be asked to join in the deposition as well. If you have a Los Angeles personal injury lawyer that is experienced in these types of situations a settlement can often be reached during this step of the process.
Step 3: The Trial The last phase of filing a Los Angeles personal injury claim is the trial. If no resolution has been reached at any previous stage, a trial will be needed. Evidence is displayed and a verdict is reached. In California, a judge may reduce the amount of compensation awarded at his discretion. Remember, a settlement can occur during any step of the claim filing process. Your Los Angeles personal injury lawyer will be able to closely look at each proposed settlement and advise you whether to accept or reject it.
Going to trial requires the assistance of a Los Angeles personal injury lawyer with court room experience, as a Los Angeles personal injury lawyer will be familiar with personal injury law in Los Angeles and therefore be able to guide and advise you throughout the process of making your personal injury claim and the trial itself.